RON PERELMAN

Chairman and chief executive officer, MacAndrews & Forbes Holdings

Leon/Retna Ltd./Corbis

EDUCATION

Haverford School, Haverford, Pa., class of 1960

BS, University of Pennsylvania, class of 1964

“I lived at home and commuted every day. I was never all that keen on washing my own clothes.”

MBA, Wharton School, class of 1966

WORK EXPERIENCE

Belmont Iron Works, foundry manager

“The manager kept saying things were going great. After my first month, I saw the numbers were disastrous. He said, ‘I thought you were asking me if I was in a good mood!’ He lasted another month before I fired him.”

Belmont Industries, executive vice president and chief operating officer

“I was working for my dad. When I left, it was hard. My relationship with him suffered. It took a little bit of time for us to clean up the edges. But I owe him everything.”

Purchases Cohen-Hatfield Industries

“I got a call from Sam Walton and met him the next day at the Holiday Inn in Bentonville. One day he said, ‘Anytime you want to get out, call me on a Thursday and I’ll send you a check on Monday.’ And that’s just what happened.”

Purchases MacAndrews & Forbes

“We won’t go into fashion, because you have to have a real sense. Tech is too quick to change. And real estate, I just don’t understand. Other than that, we’ll do anything.”

Purchases Revlon for $1.8 billion

“That’s when the Page Six stuff started. In every press account, I’m always ‘the chairman of Revlon.’ At times that’s bothersome, but that’s the reality of the world.”

“I wish I’d gotten the Gillette deal. It would have been so interesting to run.”

Purchases Marvel Entertainment for $82.5 million

Establishes the Revlon/UCLA Women’s Cancer Research Program

“We funded a scientist at UCLA named Dennis Slamon, who created a drug, Herceptin [in 1998], which cures about 30 percent of the women with breast cancer.”

Sells Golden State Bancorp for $5.8 billion

“I talk to a rabbi every morning and go over the Torah portion of the day.”

The 65th richest person in the world, worth $14.1 billion

LIFE LESSONS

1. I don’t regret any of my marriages. You’re only around once, and you should be happy as a lark. 2. I’d rather make a quick decision that can be fixed than be slow and miss an opportunity. 3. I try to be honest with my children and friends about what I think they’re doing wrong — even if it pisses them off.

Welcome!

Magazines Review offers you a broad range of popular American magazines online. Browse an extensive directory of magazines, covering most important aspects of your life. Find the most recent issues of your favourite magazine, or check out the oldest ones.

About content

All the articles are taken from the official magazine websites and other open web resources.

Please send your complains and suggestions through our feedback form. Thank you.