Make a Vine Video

Adam Goldberg

As told to Caroline Winter

OCD is highly recommended

PHOTOGRAPH BY NATHANAEL TURNER FOR BLOOMBERG BUSINESSWEEK

Vine is a mobile app that lets you shoot six-second videos, or Vines, to share on social networking sites. The in-app camera records only when you’re holding your finger to the screen of the phone, so there’s an inherent stop-motion element that provides a paranoid or anxious quality, which seems to jibe with my aesthetic. In order to make a great Vine I suggest, above all else, one acquire a severe, if not crippling, case of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Because one can’t edit Vines or add sound post facto, it’s challenging and often impossible to make seamless sound edits. To get a fluid soundtrack across multiple cuts, I often leave spaces between prerecorded audio or use a loop pedal to record music loops with built-in cues that let me know the exact beats on which to film and stop filming. To create visual effects, I’ve used everything from medium-format camera lenses to plastic wrap, but the object lesson is to use whatever tools you have and whatever you do well. Then it’s simply a matter of letting your imagination wander and having a certain degree of patience. I made one that takes place in the morning, but when I open the blinds, suddenly it’s nighttime. That was simply a matter of using an old iPhone I’d held onto and waiting to shoot the blinds bit after nightfall, hoping the app or phone wouldn’t crash in the interim. Having a basic handle on screen direction and shot composition-correct eye lines and that sort of thing — can help give the Vines a more cinematic aesthetic, if that’s what you’re going for. My favorite Vines are those which I simply would never have imagined myself. My favorite guy right now did a brilliant one that’s a single shot of a shopping cart containing a head of lettuce as it rolls down a busy New York street. Now that would never have occurred to me. • Goldberg is a writer, director, photographer, musician, and actor who appeared in the films Dazed and Confused and Saving Private Ryan, among others.

Welcome!

Magazines Review offers you a broad range of popular American magazines online. Browse an extensive directory of magazines, covering most important aspects of your life. Find the most recent issues of your favourite magazine, or check out the oldest ones.

About content

All the articles are taken from the official magazine websites and other open web resources.

Please send your complains and suggestions through our feedback form. Thank you.