Grover Norquist’s Influence Fades as Republicans Break Rank

Jennifer Daniel, with Heidi Przybyla

BLOOMBERG; AP PHOTO(1); GETTY IMAGES(13)

For more than two decades, congressional Republicans have been signing Norquist’s Taxpayer Protection Pledge, swearing not to raise taxes. As the fiscal cliff looms and negotiations with the Democrats heat up, many signers are reconsidering their allegiance.

IOWA

“Our problems are too big to worry about a guy like that.”

— Rep. Tom Latham

NEW YORK

“I really don’t care about Grover Norquist. ... He’s being a lowlife.”

— Rep. Pete King

“I don’t envision signing any pledges now.”

— Rep. Chris Gibson

VIRGINIA

“I will tell you, when I go to the constituents that have reelected me, it is not about that pledge.”

— Rep. Eric Cantor

SOUTH CAROLINA

“I will violate the pledge, long story short, for the good of the country, only if Democrats will do entitlement reform.”

— Sen. Lindsey Graham

GEORGIA

“I care more about my country than I do about a 20-year-old pledge.”

— Sen. Saxby Chambliss

TENNESSEE

“I’m not obligated on the pledge. ... The only thing I’m honoring is the oath I take ... when I’m sworn in this January.”

— Sen. Bob Corker

NEBRASKA

“We’re screwed either way. ... We really have no leverage in these discussions.”

— Rep. Lee Terry

DATA: AMERICANS FOR TAX REFORM; THE DES MOINES REGISTER; OMAHA WORLD-HERALD; THE DAILY STAR; NBC; MSNBC; THE WASHINGTON POST; CBS

Welcome!

Magazines Review offers you a broad range of popular American magazines online. Browse an extensive directory of magazines, covering most important aspects of your life. Find the most recent issues of your favourite magazine, or check out the oldest ones.

About content

All the articles are taken from the official magazine websites and other open web resources.

Please send your complains and suggestions through our feedback form. Thank you.