OBJECT OF DESIRE

PAINTING COURTESY THE BRIDGEMAN ART LIBRARY

Many portrait painters use lovers, patrons and heroes as models; for reasons perhaps best left to the psychologists, not so many paint their parents. But rising artist Max Ferguson has found inspiration in his father, lawyer Richard Jacob Ferguson. Max first painted his father in 1982. “I wanted a generic businessman type,” he recalls. “That painting turned out great, so I just kept using him.” The painting below, Saturday Night/Sunday Times (2000), emerged from a phrase that had been kicking around Ferguson’s head. “It fit with my concept of a very distinct urban ritual,” he says. Richard Ferguson died in 2005, but Max continues to paint his father. “I guess it’s my way of honoring him,” he says.

GAINING MOMENTUM

Ferguson’s pictures hang in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the British Museum and Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Bentonville, Arkansas. His 13th solo exhibition, “Painting my Father,” is running through June 29 at the Hebrew Union College Museum in New York.

HOW TO PURCHASE

Ferguson’s oil paintings sell for between $15,000 and $70,000.

For more information, contact Max Ferguson, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , 212.348.7117, or visit maxferguson.com.

Welcome!

Magazines Review offers you a broad range of popular American magazines online. Browse an extensive directory of magazines, covering most important aspects of your life. Find the most recent issues of your favourite magazine, or check out the oldest ones.

About content

All the articles are taken from the official magazine websites and other open web resources.

Please send your complains and suggestions through our feedback form. Thank you.